Beautiful Day With Graceful Glass Designer Vellum

Beautiful Day With Graceful Glass Designer Vellum

Happy Tuesday stampin' friends!  I have a little story that goes with today's project.  I made this card twice.  After I finished the first one, I showed it to my daughter and she said she liked it but she had a problem with the butterfly.  I had stamped it in Early Espresso ink and when I watercolored it, the image became very muddied.  I kinda liked the way it looked but she pointed out that it didn't quite fit with the very crisp detail of the paper behind it.  I actually had it photographed and was editing it when I realized she was right.  I tried to pull it apart to fix it but I ended up accidentally tearing it beyond repair....so, card #2.  This does look much better!  Thank you for the constructive criticism, Jenna-Brookie!

The stamp set I used for this card is Beautiful Day, found on page 134 of the 2018-19 Stampin' Up! catalog.  It is available in wood or clear mount.  This set has been a favorite of mine since it's release in the Holiday catalog...I'm so glad it carried over!  I love the bold outline of both the butterfly and the flower, and the sentiments are perfect.  Definitely a must-have in your collection!

The main thing I liked about the first butterfly I stamped was that the colors had sort-of a brownish, antique tinge to them.  I wanted to achieve that with this one, but without the blurred lines.  I started by stamping the butterfly image in Jet Black StazOn ink onto watercolor paper.  I used an Aqua Painter and ink from the lids of Crushed Curry and Grapefruit Grove to watercolor the butterfly.  Once that dried, to get the antique-y look I wanted, I washed the entire image with Crumb Cake ink.  I again allowed it to dry and then added additional shadow detail with Crumb Cake ink, and fussy cut it out.  (The only downside to this set...no coordinating framelits!)

I have seen some absolutely gorgeous things done with the Graceful Glass 6" x 6" Designer Vellum (found on page 188).  It's beautiful colored in!  I wondered how it would look without color over a piece of my favorite Wood Textures DSP...I like it!  After adding a twist of copper metallic thread to the back of the butterfly, I attached it to the vellum, leaving the wing tips unattached so I could roll them slightly to add some dimension.  Because the vellum is opaque, adhesive will show through so I like to "hide" any adhesive behind a layer (in this case, the butterfly).

To finish it up, I layered the vellum onto the Wood Textures DSP then onto an Early Espresso card base and stamped the sentiment in Jet Black StazOn.

 

Thanks for stopping by....I'll be back with another project for you on Thursday!

Leave your comment

Comments have to be approved before showing up